- University of Leicester psychologist describes unique case as new to science
- 38-year-old fit and healthy man suffered memory loss after local anaesthetic and root-canal treatment at dentist
- For the past decade he can only remember up to 90 minutes
- And he awakes each day thinking it is the same day he went to the dentist
- Symptoms are akin to those depicted in movies such as Groundhog Day and Memento
- There is no evidence that the treatment at the dentist can be blamed for his condition
“One of our reasons for writing up this individual’s case was that we had never seen anything like this before in our assessment clinics, and we do not know what to make of it. We had never seen anything like it before.” – Lecturer in Clinical Psychology, Dr Gerald Burgess, University of Leicester
A University of Leicester clinical psychologist has described treating an individual with a ‘Groundhog Day/Memento’- style memory loss as ‘like nothing we have ever seen before’.